Moving is hectic. Not just the physical component of packing and hauling, but the whole process is emotional. Being organized can save time and stress. Here are some things to begin thinking about a few weeks before closing day.
Change utilities – Call in advance to setup service for the date of your closing. It is easy to forget on the day of closing. Typical utilities will be gas, electric, water & sewer, garbage, and cable/internet. Google “utilities for my address” and you can get contact info quickly. Otherwise, reach out to your realtor with questions.
Prepare a moving day essentials box – There is nothing worse than getting keys to your new home, uncorking your champagne, and having nothing to drink it from! I am not opposed to drinking from the bottle, but just in case you want to share, have a small supply of disposable cups ready to go! Here is a list of a few things to have set aside to make moving day smoother.
- Cleaning supplies – Paper towels, Windex, Clorox wipes, dust cloth
- Hand soap
- Toilet paper
- Garbage bags
- Paper plates, plastic cups, plastic silverware for the inevitable takeout order
- Screwdrivers, both Philips and flathead
- Scissors or box cutter to easily open boxes
- Easy to eat snacks
- Phone chargers
- Wine/Champagne/Beer/La Croix – Whatever you use to celebrate, have some handy and something to open it!