Need a place to get away or pursue a hobby? A backyard shed can be a great solution. New prefabricated sheds as well as existing ones can be transformed into inviting spaces just steps from your back door. Use these five tips to turn your backyard shed into a place you may never want to leave.
- Add a coat of fresh paint. From whimsical to contemporary to serene, a fresh coat of paint can transform your backyard shed. Don’t limit yourself to matching your home. Be creative and choose paint colors that inspire you.
- Choose compact-size furniture. Make the most of your space by choosing smaller pieces, such as old patio furniture or folding chairs. Consider mounting a workspace to the wall with hinges so it can fold up when not in use.
- Scour thrift stores and flea markets. An inexpensive way to furnish a backyard shed is with secondhand items. Look for unique pieces you love but might shy away from displaying in your main living spaces. Paint used items in a color that complements the space.
- Make it livable. If your budget allows, consider adding conveniences such as electricity, air conditioning, heat, and running water. If you want your shed to double as a guest house, be sure to add a small bathroom.
- Enjoy the outdoors. Windows and doors that open to the yard let in sunlight and the view. Potted plants near your shed’s entrance can make the space feel homey. Consider adding string lights or lanterns as a charming and functional lighting element.
Consider using this creative backyard space as a:
- Home office
- “She shed”
- Art studio
- Hobby nook
- Potting shed
- Writer’s retreat
- Guest house
- Musician’s den
- “Man cave”
- Reading room
- Yoga studio or home gym